Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate
HoLEP offers comparable clinical outcomes with fewer complications as compared to TURP or Open Prostatectomy and shorter hospital stay compared to TURP. HoLEP is appropriate for most BPH patient, including anti-coagulated patients and patients for whom the risk of TUR syndrom would prohibit surgery11, 16.
What is HoLEP
Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) is a safe and effective BPH treatment option for prostates of all sizes11-15
HoLEP involves enucleation of the median lobe, followed by the lateral lobes. The lobes are placed into the bladder for removal by morcellation. HoLEP is recommended by the AUA for BPH treatment. Among its advantages are a low reoperation rates, and wide patient applicability 11,16.
HoLEP results are comparable to TURP and Open Prostatectomy
HoLEP vs. TURP1,2,3,4,5,6
HoLEP vs. Open Prostatectomy1,2,3,4,5,6
Want to learn more?
Get Clinical information, Procedure video’s,
detailed brochure and more..
HoLEP is durable at 6 years1
QOL,Qmax Ml/s and IPSS outcomes at 6 years are comparable to outcomes at 1 year
HoLEP has fewer complications and lower re-operation rate1,2,3,7,8,9,10
HoLEP and HoLVP are backed by strong clinical evidence
HoLAP/HoLEP are the most studied laser BPH treatments with the highest number of published randomized controlled trials
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate; Results at 6 Years, Gilling PJ, Aho, TF, Frampton CM, et al. Eur Urol 2008 Apr:53(4):744-9
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate Versus Open Prostatectomy for Prostates Greater Than 100 Grams; 5-Year Follow-up Results of a Randomized ClinicalTrial, Kuntz RM, Lehrich K, Ahvai S. Eur Urol 2008 Apr:53:160-168
- A Randomized Trial Comparing Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate with Transurethral Resection of the Prostate for the Treatment of Bladder Outlet Obstruction, Secondary to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Large Glands (40 to 200 grams), Tan AH, Gilling P, et al. J Urol (Oct. 2003) 170:1270-1274
- Randomized Comparison of Transurethral Electroresection and Holmium: YAG Laser Vaporization for Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Mottet N, Anidjar J, et al. J Endourol 1999 13:127-130 5 Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate for Prostates of >125mL., Matlaga BR, Lingeman JE, et al. BJU International, 97:81-84, Jan 2006
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate for Prostates of >125mL., Matlaga BR, Lingeman JE, et al. BJU International, 97:81-84, Jan 2006
- Holmium Laser Bladder Neck Incision vs. Holmium Enucleation of the Prostate as Outpatient Procedures for Prostates Less Than 40 Grams: A Randomized Trial, Aho, TF, Gilling P, et al. J Urol, 174, 210-214, Jul 2005
- KTP Laser versus transurethral resection: early results of a randomized trial Bouchier-Hayes DM, Anderson P, et al. J Endourol 2006 Vol 20 (8):580-585
- Photoselective potassium titanyl phosphate (KTP) laser vaporization vs. transurethral resection of the prostate for prostates larger than 70mL: a short-term prospective randomized trial Horasanli K, Silay M, et al. J Urol 2008 71:247-251
- Laser: A Novel Side-Firing Approach for Laser Vaporisation of the Human Prostate – Immediate Efficacy and 1 – Year Follow- Up Seitz M., Sroka, R., et al. Eur Urol 2007 June; 52 1717-1772
- Thulium Laser versus Standard Transurethral Resection of the Prostate: A Randomized Trial Xia, S. et al. European Urology 2006 Vol 53 382-390
- John Michalak, David Tzou, Joel Funk: HoLEP: the gold standard for the surgical management of BPH in the 21st Century Am J Clin Exp Urol 2015;3(1):36-42
- Ehab A. Elzayat, Enmar I. Habib, and Mostafa M. Elhilali: Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: a size-independent new “gold standard” urology 66 (Supplement 5A), November 2005
- Gilling PJ et al, Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing holmium laser enucleation of the prostate and transurethral resection of the prostate: results at 7 years. BJU Int 2012; 109(3): 408-11.
- Elmansy H et al, Holmium Laser Enucleation Versus Photoselective Vaporization for Prostatic Adenoma Greater than 60 Ml: Preliminary Results of a Prospective, Randomized Clinical Trial. J Urol 2012; 188: 216-221.
- Ahyai S et al, Holmium Laser Enucleation versus Transurethral Resection of the Prostate: 3-Year Follow-Up Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Eur Urol 2007; 52(5):1456-63. 16. American Urological Association Guideline: Management of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), 2010.
PB-1004683 A | PB-2007840 rev A